Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tuesdays with Morrie

I don't like to advertise on my blog. But there are certain things that leave you with a certain satisfaction when you experience them.

Tuesdays with Morrie is one such book. A masterpiece that it is, it is the only book I have read so far that has left me satisfied and tingling, at the same time.

I read this book when I was not in a good frame of mind. The best part of Tuesdays with Morrie was Morrie, ofcourse. The old professor, dying of ALS, is able to appreciate smaller and more genuine things of life, made me feel, if an old man who knows his death is approaching can live a wholesome life, why can't I? Tuesdays with Morrie made me feel good about myself and my life.

Morrie proved that dying was not synonymous with being 'useless'. Morrie was suffering from ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). The disease was aptly described by the author as 'ALS is like a candle. It melts your nerves and leaves your body a pile of wax.' 'Do I wither up, or do I make the best of my time left?'

Quoting Morrie and his philosophy on life:

- Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.
- Death ends a life, not a relationship.
- Love is the only rational act.
- Love wins, love always wins.
- Don't cling to things because everything is impermanent.
- Money is not a substitute for tenderness, and power is not a substitute for tenderness. I can tell you, as I'm sitting here dying, when you most need it, neither money nor power will give you the feeling you're looking for, no matter how much of them you have.
- So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they are chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning. 


Tuesdays with Morrie made me laugh and cry at the same time. It brought all subtle sensations to me. So much so, that it has become my Bible now. I have read and re-read this book and recommend it to everyone.

(I have not been able to write much since past few days. Sincere apologies! It was primarily because of a cut on my left hand index finger. It still hurts when I type. But I guess, the urge to write can not be contained any further!)

© Written by Garima Mahajan

No comments:

Post a Comment