Since childhood, I have unbent, uncoiled, unbowed straight hair. I don't remember how many times I have told people, No, I have not got it straightened or rebonded. They are naturally staright. The problem with such straight hair is that there is hardly any style that I can do. No matter how many chemicals or products I use, my hair always come back to what they love being- straight!
Like all girls (or should I say women, considering I am married ;)?), I too am very possessive of my hair. I ensure I go to the same parlour everytime for a haircut and get it from the same guy. All right, what's the catch here?
I always go to Habib's for my haircut and few days back was again one of the routine trimming sessions. The guy who does my hair was on leave and the manager introduced me to this new guy who looked very enthusiastic and confident. My doubts were intact but after some convincing, I allowed him to use scissors on my hair.
To my horror, this new guy cut the hair shorter than what I told him. Ohhh no, he didn't know what crap he landed into. 'See, I told you..I only wanted you to trim my hair, not cut them so short.' All hell broke loose and the scene was quite chaotic. Since the manager was not around, I asked the guy to call him. Poor chap, went out and came back after few minutes. 'Sir is coming', he tells me. I gave him the look that almost killed him.
Next thing I see is a familiar face, asking very friendly, 'What happened?' Where have I seen him, he looks like.....like JAWED HABIB!! 'No, he can't be that. Why will he come here? To give me a hair cut? May be...may be the guy who cut my hair got so terrified that he called The Jawed Habib.
'What happened?'- the friendly face asked for the second time.
It was weird to ask someone- Are you Jawed Habib? And anyway, this guy ruined my hair. I am supposed to be upset and not star- struck. So I regained my anger, and told him the guy is apparently new and has cut my hair shorter than what I asked. Jawed Habib lookalike (or may be not) smiled and asked the guy to get a sheet. 'Don't worry. I will give you a fab cut'. I was pleased.
He starts the conversation- 'Your hair texture is very nice. Your forehead is broad. But not very broad. You should get streaks on your hair.' Next thing I see from the mirror is some teenagers clicking his picture. The manager came from nowhere and greeted him, asking, ' Sir, when did you come from Lucknow?' I wondered, why will the manager call him 'Sir'? There was this middle aged lady sitting next to me. Very casually she asks him, 'Are you the same one whose picture is displayed outside?' I was all ears, if the man doing my hair is indeed Jawed Habib...He gave that same friendly smile and said, 'He is Jawed Habib. Hum toh unke shagird hai. Bas unke jaisa dikhna chahte hai.' My hopes shattered :(
Finally, the haircut was done. He gave me the smile and asked, 'Happy?' I nodded. After all, Jawed Habib (my heart breaks to say this but may be not) had cut my hair. And only mine, as I noticed (and I noticed for a long time) he kept the scissors after my haircut and was talking to the manager, while all other guys were at work.
May be, he indeed was a lookalike. But sometimes, life gives you moments to laugh at yourself. This was one such moment.
Like all girls (or should I say women, considering I am married ;)?), I too am very possessive of my hair. I ensure I go to the same parlour everytime for a haircut and get it from the same guy. All right, what's the catch here?
I always go to Habib's for my haircut and few days back was again one of the routine trimming sessions. The guy who does my hair was on leave and the manager introduced me to this new guy who looked very enthusiastic and confident. My doubts were intact but after some convincing, I allowed him to use scissors on my hair.
To my horror, this new guy cut the hair shorter than what I told him. Ohhh no, he didn't know what crap he landed into. 'See, I told you..I only wanted you to trim my hair, not cut them so short.' All hell broke loose and the scene was quite chaotic. Since the manager was not around, I asked the guy to call him. Poor chap, went out and came back after few minutes. 'Sir is coming', he tells me. I gave him the look that almost killed him.
Next thing I see is a familiar face, asking very friendly, 'What happened?' Where have I seen him, he looks like.....like JAWED HABIB!! 'No, he can't be that. Why will he come here? To give me a hair cut? May be...may be the guy who cut my hair got so terrified that he called The Jawed Habib.
'What happened?'- the friendly face asked for the second time.
It was weird to ask someone- Are you Jawed Habib? And anyway, this guy ruined my hair. I am supposed to be upset and not star- struck. So I regained my anger, and told him the guy is apparently new and has cut my hair shorter than what I asked. Jawed Habib lookalike (or may be not) smiled and asked the guy to get a sheet. 'Don't worry. I will give you a fab cut'. I was pleased.
He starts the conversation- 'Your hair texture is very nice. Your forehead is broad. But not very broad. You should get streaks on your hair.' Next thing I see from the mirror is some teenagers clicking his picture. The manager came from nowhere and greeted him, asking, ' Sir, when did you come from Lucknow?' I wondered, why will the manager call him 'Sir'? There was this middle aged lady sitting next to me. Very casually she asks him, 'Are you the same one whose picture is displayed outside?' I was all ears, if the man doing my hair is indeed Jawed Habib...He gave that same friendly smile and said, 'He is Jawed Habib. Hum toh unke shagird hai. Bas unke jaisa dikhna chahte hai.' My hopes shattered :(
Finally, the haircut was done. He gave me the smile and asked, 'Happy?' I nodded. After all, Jawed Habib (my heart breaks to say this but may be not) had cut my hair. And only mine, as I noticed (and I noticed for a long time) he kept the scissors after my haircut and was talking to the manager, while all other guys were at work.
May be, he indeed was a lookalike. But sometimes, life gives you moments to laugh at yourself. This was one such moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment