We human beings are social by nature. Agree, not all of us. But most of us. I guess nobody wants to remain alone for a long period. And thanks to the 'awesome' network of social media around us, almost all of us are striving hard to get higher ranking on social media index. I am myself a social media addict. So this post is a special one, since it validates and strengthens my belief on real relationships vis-a-vis social relationships.
It was my birthday last week. And I changed my settings in such a way that Facebook does not send my birthday notification to my friends. As anticipated, there were very few wishes (on facebook). Quite frankly, I did give a thought on such an abysmal low count of birthday wishes on a social media platform. But wasn't this expected? Some hundreds of people wished me birthday last year because a notification was screaming on their screens. But this year, there was no such case. This year, all those people who remembered my special day wished me in person, either by meeting or phone call or through a message. Well honestly, I was glad that I did not have to reply to hundreds of messages! Don't get me wrong, but that's like a task. A big task.
Remember when we were kids? Or when we were in college? (Okay, young ones. My childhood and college days were in 90s and early 2000s) That was when social media did not bombard our lives There were just a handful of people who were close to us that cared to remember our birthdays. Come to think of it, what has changed since then? A handful is still a handful. Even at that time if there was an announcement of your birthday, you would have got hundreds or thousands of 'wishes'.
Thanks to our busy lives, sometimes we do not remember each other's special days. Social media and technology do come handy in such situations. But let's not get dependent on any kind of technology to such an extent that we lend our emotions and feelings to it as a storehouse for expressions.
I have no hard feelings for anyone who did not wish me. I still have the same love for all of those who did not wish me and trust me, this post is not a rant to express a displeasure. I am glad I have made beautiful relationships with beautiful people who would remember me- with or without social media.
I had an awesome time and had some amazing food, cakes and chocolates. Wishes were few but love was in abundance.
Íf you love life, life will love you back.' So on that note, let's love the life that we have and the beautiful people it has!
© Written by Garima Mahajan
It was my birthday last week. And I changed my settings in such a way that Facebook does not send my birthday notification to my friends. As anticipated, there were very few wishes (on facebook). Quite frankly, I did give a thought on such an abysmal low count of birthday wishes on a social media platform. But wasn't this expected? Some hundreds of people wished me birthday last year because a notification was screaming on their screens. But this year, there was no such case. This year, all those people who remembered my special day wished me in person, either by meeting or phone call or through a message. Well honestly, I was glad that I did not have to reply to hundreds of messages! Don't get me wrong, but that's like a task. A big task.
Remember when we were kids? Or when we were in college? (Okay, young ones. My childhood and college days were in 90s and early 2000s) That was when social media did not bombard our lives There were just a handful of people who were close to us that cared to remember our birthdays. Come to think of it, what has changed since then? A handful is still a handful. Even at that time if there was an announcement of your birthday, you would have got hundreds or thousands of 'wishes'.
Thanks to our busy lives, sometimes we do not remember each other's special days. Social media and technology do come handy in such situations. But let's not get dependent on any kind of technology to such an extent that we lend our emotions and feelings to it as a storehouse for expressions.
I have no hard feelings for anyone who did not wish me. I still have the same love for all of those who did not wish me and trust me, this post is not a rant to express a displeasure. I am glad I have made beautiful relationships with beautiful people who would remember me- with or without social media.
![]() |
| Chocolate cake for me from Ridhiema's daddy |
![]() |
| Fruit cake for daughter from Ridhiema's daddy |
Íf you love life, life will love you back.' So on that note, let's love the life that we have and the beautiful people it has!
© Written by Garima Mahajan


No comments:
Post a Comment