Sunday, November 14, 2010

corporate culture on families



In today's world, or may I say, in today's materialistic world, we all are running after wealth. Joint families are divided now in many nuclear families. Though members are few in the family, needs are many. With husband and wife both working day in and out, kids are left to nannies who I won't say spoil them, but love them so much that kids detest their own parents. Ask those parents who are they working so hard for, and they say for their kids and also for the nannies' salary!!

Kids don't know their grandparents' name or address for that matter. So who tells them Alibaba, Cindrella stories? Who sings lullaby for them? Who buys them chocolate when they come first in class? Who asks them what they want to eat for snacks and when they say chocolate makes milk shake with chocolate flavor for them? I am not against nannies bringing up kids. But I have seen my friend coming back from work and she sees her kid warming up yesterday's pizza in the microwave and asking me 'Mom, you hungry?'

I have working parents. In fact, because of their jobs they lived separately for five years. Because they wanted to secure my brother and my future did they succumb to the circumstances. But never ever did I feel my parents not around me in my growing up years. But now when I see, parents working 24*7, leaving the kids to nannies, I feel scared. Let's not move so fast that the world remains where it is and we have moved so ahead that we can't find anyone around..absolutely no one around.

© Written by Garima Mahajan

3 comments:

  1. I join you in this worries. Really dont know where this compititive world is heading. Good reallistic thoughts.Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%. It's something that troubles my mind too. But another side to this is - with the cost of living shooting up like a rocket, do you think a normal middle class family - with say two kids or even one kid - can afford good food, clothes and decent education if only one parent is working? My parents were working too but just like you, I never felt that I was not taken care of. However, I seriously feel that our times were comparatively innocent - no internet, no cell phones, and TV was restricted to Doordarshan. Unfortunately, the word 'innocent' hardly figures in the lives of the current generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @P-Kay: thanks for the appreciation
    @ Rashmi: That's precisely the point..exactly at what cost and for reason are we running for money?

    ReplyDelete